The Parish Church of Saint Mary the Virgin
This building was consecrated as a parish church in 1315 and has always been the mortuary chapel of the Clifford family of Frampton. The East End was later modified when the Clifford family added chapels on both sides of the chancel.
The siting of the church may seem odd – in that it faces away from the main part of the village - but when built, it looked out over a busy scene. There was no Gloucester-Sharpness canal then, however the church looked upon a tidal creek or Pill, which brought trading vessels to a wharf only a few hundred feet away. There was a tannery and a brick works, with much ferrying of goods back and forth across the river.
The north door, which is also the tower door, looks towards the ancient avenue of trees (known as the ‘Narles’) from the village.
The ancient lead Font is of great interest. It is one of only six identical Romanesque fonts surviving in this country. It is believed to be older than the present building, and poses the question as to whether there was a church previously built on this site – or perhaps there was one elsewhere in the Parish, from which this font was acquired.
The easternmost recess along the wall of the North Aisle and Chapel, hold an effigy of a woman clad in loose gown and long mantle. This probably represents the wife of a 14th century member of the Clifford family. To the west of this is a life-sized cross-legged figure of a knight in chain mail and sir-coat. He holds a shield in his left arm and his feet rest on a dog, and he is believed to be an early member of the Clifford family.
Miss Ann Wicks, a resident heiress, made a bequest for purchasing a Communion Plate in her will of 1838. She left £1000 for this purpose, so a chalice and paten of pure gold was obtained. The plate was later sold, as its possession seems to have been regarded as a great liability. A silver-gilt set of chalice, two patens, flagon and alms dish were then bought, and these are still is use today.